Gauge Bites. Hard.

Well.

Let’s get the big news out of the way: The Urban Aran Cardi isn’t done.  Besides having some fantastic excuses mostly related to late-pregnancy mental and physical health, there now appears to be a gauge problem.  Nothing quite kills the knitting mojo like second-guessing the finished product.  This came up Thursday evening.  Although I got gauge per the pattern in stockinette stitch, I’ve found that in pattern, my back piece is measuring 18″ instead of 23.5″.  Don’t strain yourself, I will do the math for you: that’s a 5.5″ difference.   Sheeeeet.

Pro: The yarn is a bit on the thin side for the what the pattern calls for so even though I am supposedly getting gauge, it is also producing a VERY stretchable fabric with a gentle cling.

Con: It clings.  Matt is not a negative ease kind of guy.  At 18″, which would theoretically be about 36″ around, we’re looking at about 5-6″ negative ease.

Pro: I already have this yarn and enough of it if I continue as I am.

Con: It’s a loose fabric (ie, you can see through it a little when you hold it up) which concerns Matt as not being warm enough.  I’ve tried to allay these fears with high and mighty talk of the virtues of wool, which he knows very well himself.

I tried all weekend to talk myself into not restarting.  The reality is that I have to do something different.  My first move will be to knit a double-stranded gauge swatch with the Ecological Wool and see how that works up.  I don’t know for sure how to measure gauge this time around but I will probably try some of the pattern components and not just stockinette.  I just need 116 CO stitches to come to close to 23″ wide so that Matt’s cardigan is a fit he likes.  I’m not aiming for some sort of pattern perfection purity here (reminder to perfectionist self).

Then it’s time for math and calling WEBS for more yarn, which is still in stock right now.  Hopefully they have my dye lot but all I really need is the same color since I am double stranding and can easily meld different dye lots.  I considered just going with the Shetland Chunky the pattern calls for but it’s 75/25 acrylic/wool–not wool/acrylic so blah.  I get enough of that making kid things out of Wool-Ease.

Here’s something more fun:

I started myself a pair of Jaywalkers using the sock flat Matt & Zander gave me for Christmas.  I’m actually much farther along and the pattern and striping look great together.  Stay tuned for more pictures.  I am looking for my camera battery charger.  Damn pregnant brain.

  1 comment for “Gauge Bites. Hard.

  1. January 20, 2009 at 11:19 am

    Ouch. I’m sorry about the gauge woes. I look forward to seeing the socks, though!

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: